Adding categories to your titles is important as it allows you to organise your full list into smaller, more manageable and searchable lists. In this part of the Title Management system, you have 4 levels of categorisation available to you.
- Subjects: All titles added to your system must have an accompanying subject as this field can be used to drive your website menus, for your AI sheets and for internal searching.
- Themes: Some publishers use these for further, deeper levels of classification.
- Categories: Mainly used for import.
- Pub. Season: This is where you create your pub season codes. Click on Create New. Type in the name of your season and click Create.
When setting up your system you can provide Stison with a complete list of subjects relevant to your titles, and they can (if undertaking an upload process for you) upload all of these for you. This will ensure that your subjects are already waiting for you on the system when you start adding new frontlist titles.
You also have the facility here to add subjects, themes and categories manually. This is useful when you start adding titles to the system that don't fit into the previously uploaded list of subjects, themes or categories.
The instructions for creating new subjects, themes or categories for your lists are similar.
We will take adding a subject as an example. First, click on Create New and then fill in the fields:
- Parent: Unless your new category is associated with a previously added category, then leave this field as is, -Main Subject-.
- Code: Keep the code as simple as possible, for instance WS to represent Water Sports. If you have lots of subjects, ensure your coding is distinct enough to satisfy all subjects.
- Subject Name: eg. Water Sports
Click Create when you're finished and the code will automatically be added to the list.