The title tab provides you with full details about the title you are editing or creating. When creating a new title, there will be no additional tabs added until you click the Create button (as per image below).
It is possible to copy an existing title to create a new record. You may wish to do this if you are creating a new edition of a pre-existing title.
If you are editing a title that has already been added to the system, then you will see the tabs already created and the button will only let you Update or Cancel.
Data in this tab:
- ISTC (International Standard Text Code): This code is used to link different formats of the same content, for example an E-Book with its HB and PB counterparts. This means you don't have to create several different records of the same content but can link it with this number. For more information visit: www.istc-international.org. These numbers aren't used very often at the moment but may be used more so in the future.
- Full Title*: The complete name of a published product as it appears on the book's title page, inclusive of the prefix.
- Title Prefix: This field will automatically populate if there is a prefix in your title.
- Subtitle: A secondary or explanatory title that follows the main title. This field must be supplied if applicable.
- More title options are available by clicking on the Show more title options, such as Former Title, Distributors title, Title in another language, etc. You may not need or want to fill in these fields.
- Language*: This field refers to the language in which the text is written. Choose the appropriate language in the drop-down menu. Your system will be set up with a default initially - in most cases to English.
- More language options are available by clicking on the Show more language options, such as Original Language, etc.
- Work: (optional) This allows you to connect different titles that may not have the same title. Work can represent the source of many derivative products. This is optional but serves as a point for us to aggregate data upwards.
- Source / Parent: (optional) This allows you to connect different editions so we can follow the creation path of a title.
- Content Type: Generally, you will not need to use this as the default should be sufficient & it may be hidden within your profile anyway. All books are of type "Content". Note: other valid formats are chapter, article, issue, journal & collection. This list may change.
When you are finished adding information to the above fields, click on Update to save the information and then move into the Contributor tab.